The World's Largest Observation Wheel In The Marina Is Coming Along Very Nicely
Ain Dubai, the largest observation wheel in the world, will be located on Bluewaters Island which is right in front of JBR's coastline. Expect this engineering masterpiece to be on tourist’s Dubai bucket list, in addition to the entertainment, retail and hospitality features the island has to offer.
According to its developer Meraas Holding, work on this project is going pretty well. In fact, the hub and spindle has been lifted into place.
Some things you ought to know about these parts
- The spindle has a diameter of 6.25 metres
- It is made of steel (similar to the one used for nuclear power plants)
- Both, the spindle and the hub, were manufactured and assembled in the UAE and shipped to Bluewaters Island
- Together they're approximately 40 metres long and 20 metres high and weigh 1,805 tonnes (think four Airbus A380)
- This hub will be connected to the rim with 192 spoke cables
Did you know?
Two of the world's largest cranes are being used for the construction of this project. Each of them boasts a 180-metre-long boom and lifting capacity of more than 3,000 tonnes. Impressive right?