17 Ways You Know You're An Arab Expat In Dubai
Because how else would you know!?
If you do any one of these things, then you’ve definitely earned your “Arab expat in Dubai” badge
1. When you think it’s so cool that your kids don’t speak Arabic...
“My daughter only speaks English and French and some Filipino”.
2. When you also think it’s so cool that your kids can speak a little Arabic
“We started speaking to them in Arabic… they sound hilarious when then say baba instead of papa”
3. When you use the word “Inshallah” to answer all the difficult questions in life
- Can you please see who’s at the door?
4. You get super excited when a branch of your favorite shawarma shop from back home opens in Dubai
Then you immediately Instagram a photo of it with the hashtags: #HomeSick #ChildhoodMemories #BestShawarmaEver
5. When you visit home and get shocked when you realize that you have to park your own car
What do you mean you don’t have valet parking?! What is this?!
6. When you lose your own accent and slowly start sounding more and more Lebanese
What do you mean you are Egyptian?!
7. When you can’t wait to tell your friends back home that you rent a place in Marina
“And I’m not even sharing!!”
8. When you go to Sharjah supermarkets or Global Village to stock up on your vine leaves, spices and Makdoos
And then you call your mum back home to ask her how to store them correctly
9. When you never get bored of discussing the best way to cook “Molokhia”
But whether it’s cooked the Syrian, Egyptian or Palestinian way… you'll still eat it
10. When you get a sense of accomplishment for having a conversation “in Arabic” with Moroccans… and actually understand everything
Or if you are a Moroccan and feel awesome when you fool everybody with your fake Emirati accent
11. When you break into a “Dabkeh” dance on a Justin Timberlake song to impress your European friends
“So you think you can dance? Wait till I bust out those Dabkeh moves”
12. When you visit Tchibo store to buy all sorts of gifts for your family before you visit home
Don’t even pretend you don’t love that store!
13. When you tell your friends back home you bumped into Will Smith or Tom Cruise in the Dubai Mall but they don’t believe you
“I swear! I photobombed Jackie Chan!”
14. When you ask your friends who are flying back home to deliver a bag to your family
“Oh it’s just a small light bag… *cough* about 30KGs I think...”
15. When you think it’s perfectly normal to fly to Beirut or Amman for the weekend
Flydubai and Al Arabia do pretty cheap flights…
16. When you become very good at mental math
Because you are constantly converting currencies in your head
17. When you feel excited about describing the interiors, colors, and butler service at Burj al Arab to your family back home
They have fountains… inside the hotel!