Dubai, the city of gold, is known to be one of the best cities in the world, and it’s no surprise that UAE, over the years has turned from a developing country to a developed country REAL quick. It has the best sights, beaches, malls – you name it.
If you’re a Dubai kid aka someone who was born and bought up in the UAE, the next few photos are going to give you goosebumps and will make you realize how far this gorgeous city has come in terms of growth.
Here are 10 old Dubai photos that will take you back right to the start
10. Believe it or not this is actually Sheikh Zayed Road and there are Hilton hotels behind it. It’s hard to imagine that Sheikh Zayed Road used to be this empty!
9. Throwback to when there was barely anything around the clock tower. It is so lively and populated now.
8. Shindagha Tunnel during the ‘70s – It’s crazy to think that there was barely any traffic in one of the most popular tunnels in Dubai. You can also spot Hyatt being constructed in the background.
7. Back in the ‘70s there were only two well known hospitals in the UAE that were very popular one was Maktoum hospital and the other was Rashid hospital that you can see in the image below. It’s amazing how it’s still one of the best hospitals in town.
6. Dubai Creek during the ‘80s, the beautiful blue waters and the vintage cars in the parking lot in this photo is everything!
5. This is what one of the first fire stations in the UAE looked like back in the 70s. It was located near the Clock Tower, it’s heartwarming to see how the fire fighters stand united together in this photo.
4. Here’s what Al- Nasr Sq. looked like back in the ‘60s. Two – three storey buildings are a rare sight in the UAE now but back then most apartments had only two floors- unbelievable right?
3. And before The Palm, there was the Creek Golf Club. This is what the golf club looked like from high above, not as fancy as The Palm, but still quite gorgeous don’t ya think?
2. Here is an amazing shot of Sheikh Zayed Road, that most of you won’t even recognize, YES, that’s how empty the lively Sheikh Zayed Road used to be back in the ‘80s. Dubai has undeniably come such a long way with such fabulous advancements.
1. The Abra (water taxi) ride from Deira station to Bur Dubai station that used to cost ONLY 25 fils till the ‘90s! Unbelivable isn’t it? It is still one of the popular means of traveling for tourists, something that definitely should be on one’s bucket list when visiting the UAE.