Here Are The DXB Updates That Anyone Flying Through Dubai Within The Next 45 Days Needs To Know
The southern runway at DXB is closed for 45 days for upgrades from April 16 at 3pm.
A statement from Dubai Airports has revealed the enormous amount of prep that's gone into the closure which means a route change for many passengers, who will now fly through Dubai World Central (DWC) instead.
There's been huge planning and cooperation between Dubai Aviation Engineering Projects, airlines, dnata, the regulator and a host of other service partners over the last two years as DXB gears up to upgrade the Southern runway which is nearing the end of its design life, and requires a complete upgrade to accommodate future traffic growth.
Flying though DWC?
- DWC will take on additional traffic from the affected scheduled, charter, cargo and general aviation operations, handling an additional 145 passenger flights per day
- Flights from flydubai, Wizz Air, Aeroflot, Indigo, SpiceJet, Gulf Air, Ukraine International Airlines, Ural Airlines, Nepal Airlines, Kuwait Airways and flynas are expected to pass through DWC
- The RTA are adding a bus service and a discounted taxi fleet will be available at DWC
- There will be a free express bus service operating between DXB and DWC every 30 minutes departing from DXB Terminals 1, 2 and 3
- DWC offers 2,500 shaded carparking spaces
What's happening at DXB?
- The airfield closes on April 16 at 3pm, and work begins right away
- 90 construction vehicles will enter and exit every hour transporting more than 18,500 truckloads of concrete, asphalt, materials and personnel
- More than 1,900 employees will be involved in the project